Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the story of anadama...according to my mother.


Anadama bread is the one bread I really remember my mother making from scratch when I was young (and no, the brown bread in a can DOES NOT count mom) and every time she made it she told the same story of how the name "Anadama" came to be called just that.

According to my mom there was a fisherman, and this fisherman had a wife, Anna.  Everyday when he came in from hauling she would have waiting for him, a loaf of bread made of cornmeal mush and molasses.  Day after day, this cornmeal mush and molasses bread began to get to this fisherman.  Finally, coming home from an extremely long and hard day only to find that same loaf on the table yelled "Anna, damn 'er!" 

 And so...it came to be.

I still love this bread, and have been making two loaves a day for The Sea Store for a week now (though I would love to make more!!) and they seem to be a hit!  Stop by anytime, or if you want a special order, send me a quick note at squashblossombakery@gmail.com!  Thanks to everyone for all your support.

No comments: