Sunday, October 26, 2008

let us digress...

"There is a renaissance occurring, a return to some time honored methods of producing food.  The increasing interest in sustainable agriculture is one, the revival of wood-fired ovens for baking is another.  This project is for us both a means to making a living, and a template for others to follow --people who are seeking authenticity in their lives--right livelihood."  -Robert Hunt owner/baker of Bohemian Bakery in Vermont on building his wood fired oven.  

While researching artisan breads and ovens online (which I do on a regular basis), I stumbled upon Robert Hunt the owner and operator of Bohemian Bakery.  His philosophy on returning to time honored methods of producing food encompasses my ideology regarding food, it's production and consumption.  I have believed for so long that there is a way to harmonize as humans with our food source (the earth) from planting seeds and growing to harvesting and preparing.  The sad truth is that we have lost touch with what is solely responsible for our day to day existence - the air, water, and earth - and it's effects are devastating .  After surrounding myself for the past few years with people who think and eat very similar to myself, it is a bit of a shock to encounter this cultural divide in the way of food, and I wonder to myself, just how do we reach these people?  The "food as fuel" people, the ones who merely eat to get them through the next part of their day.  

I am not saying that I expect everyone to eat with such passion as I, but to put some thought into the nutrition (or lack there of) that is going into their bodies.  To try new things, to put effort into needing less super sweet and appreciate the natural sweetness of many foods, the natural goodness of food in its most raw state.  Education is the only way.  Teaching our children where our food comes from, teaching our parents and adults where to find and how to prepare native fare.  The more I researched the more I found that Maine has many great resources beginning with Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA) that have endless educational opportunities, links, phone numbers, farmers, publications, and much more.  I am making a commitment to try and expose these great programs, meetings, and events as well as I can...I hope you all stay tuned.

Until then, take a moment to wonder, just where the food on your plate came from, who has helped it get there, and how it is effecting your body now and in the future. 

No comments: