Monday, March 15, 2010

Is it March???!!

What? Where has February gone?? And what about the first of March? Days have just been floating by here with warm sun and so much to do...hiking, yoga, and just lounging with great people...of course, what gets neglected? Squash Blossom, I know, I know I apologize too much for the lack of posts so I won't, I will just celebrate a full life (and a very demanding dog!) :)

With all the yoga and lifestyle changes, I think tonight I will share with you an Ayurvedic recipe for spicy oil (which, to all those who just gasped at the though of me using spicy oil, is NOT so spicy)... It is quite delicious and good for you in so many ways (and for those who are familiar with the doshas..it's good for all of 'em!). I use this to saute up my veg. for beans and rice nights. It is really delicious....

1 cup canola oil (I use sunflower)
1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
1 1/2 Tbs Hing (asafetida, from an Indian store)
2 Tbsp. mustard seed
1 Tbsp. turmeric

Heat oil in a pan. Add 2-3 mustard seeds in while while it is heating. They will start popping once the oil is hot. Remove the pan from heat and add the remaining mustard seeds and cover the pot. After the seeds stop popping, add cumin seeds, hing, and turmeric. Allow the oil to cool down for 5 min. and then pour in a thick glass jar and store at room temperature.

It is really versatile I hope some of you give it a try!

p.s. turmeric is also called the "poor woman's saffron," for it does many of the same things that its more expensive cousin can do.!

No comments: