Saturday, February 21, 2009

wrappin up food in '08















The 2008 Slow Food Almanac came in the mail about two weeks ago.  Today, sitting on my warm porch in the rocking chair, I kicked my feet up and dug in.  
Network
Biodiversity
Local Economy
Tradition
Pleasure
All are key words used in the Almanac to describe the Slow Food Movement in 2008.  All are vital words to the life, growth, and understanding of this pivotal crusade. 

 I learned of Slow Food in 2007 while at my baking internship in Flat Rock, NC.  The owner, Scott, was a member and introduced me to one of the most important shifts happening world wide in the way we grow, purchase, and consume food.  Started by one brilliant visionary, Carlo Petrini (current Slow Food International President) in 1986 with only 61 other members - it has grown to a staggering 72,000+ members worldwide in June of 2008 from 132 different countries.  

In the way of food, this movement is a saving grace.  Focusing on everything from school food programs to agricultural biodiversity, wine to coffee, fish to carrots, this movement is trying to save our food systems and the way we live.  

As I continue reading I will keep posting my favorite articles and thoughts.  One excerpt I found particularly striking was a quote by Francesco Angelita describing the Snail (which was chosen as Slow Foods logo)...

Long live the Snail...

No comments: