Sunday, February 1, 2009

blueberries in the dead of winter


Blueberry muffins are one of the quintessential breakfast quick breads to me, and I have come across the best one to date.  Believe it or not, these do not sell at the Sea Store, so I save the Maine blueberries in my freezer for cold Sunday mornings and this muffin recipe.  Light, fluffy, crispy on the top, with a hint of lemon zest, it couldn't be better with your morning coffee.  

Blueberry muffin recipe:
courtesy of the bread bible (see picture) in cups and ounces...


     4Tbsp 2oz butter
1/2 cup 3.5oz sugar
2tsp lemon zest
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup 4.75oz all purpose flour
3/8tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3cup 2.75oz sour cream (I also use plain yogurt)
3/4cup 3.5oz small blueberries
  • Preheat oven - 375
  • Cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy
  • Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt
  • Spoon 1/2 flour mixture and 1/2 sour cream (or yogurt) into butter and fold in
  • Repeat with the rest of the flour and sour cream
  • Fold in blueberries
  • Pour into a 6-cup muffin pan that is lined with paper liners (and buttered, I found helps)
  • Fill empty pans with water and bake 25-35 min.


*There are a few things I found with her recipe...I noticed that if you fill the muffin tins to the top to make large muffins, it only makes three...also, if you bake this way it takes about 45 min in the oven, the tops get nice and brown so don't worry, just keep checking them!*

Otherwise, this is a tasty recipe. Enjoy!



No comments: