Saturday, August 9, 2008

cake...cake...and more cake!!!

Happy happy birthday to the lady of Tastebud...Miss Alexandra! I volunteered/was elected/given the honor of making dear Ali's birthday cake this year. Given her favorite of all times is carrot, I figure I have it in the bag. You see, there was this carrot cake I had at a Thanksgiving dinner a few years back on a farm and was so in love with it, begged the hosts to pass on the holy recipe. Since that evening three years ago I have made this cake numerous times and it has yet to fail me. Then came the challenge: "My mom makes the best carrot cake ever!" I began to question my fabulous cake recipe...WHAT IF her mom's WAS better? I am never one to be out done, well, not if I can help it! I received over five pounds of carrots from the market, though that was an excessive amount it gave me the option to pick the best. Well, I gave it a go, it was the most fun I had had making a cake ever, knowing it was going to fill the bellies of all the friends I adore here in Portland. I also got a bag FULL of nasturtiums to decorate and found a couple of whimsical birds on long skinny wires from a local vintage store and TADAH! I had a birthday cake.
Kelly and I loaded it into the car and headed off to the festivities. Arriving safely the cake made it to the a table overflowing with a cornucopia of Portland Farmer's Market's finest...everything from squid to Mediterranean salad (like none other!), fire roasted pork, potato salad, and a fabulous lime/cilantro/corn/black bean mix which I put with warm tortillas paired with a fabulously light queso fresco...and people, that was only the beginning! What a sight. Needless to say after indulging in all the savory treats, the cake was a hit...it went home with the birthday girl and was enjoyed even a couple days later. Thanks again to Jessie and Andy for hosting. What a fabulous night!




No comments: